Re: I can't even get started..... HELP!!!

От John Draper
Тема Re: I can't even get started..... HELP!!!
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
>Simplest thing to do; forget the ports collection.  The installation
>instructions available on postgresql.org are excellent, and it goes very
>smoothly on a FreeBSD box.
>
>Postgres is a fine RDBMS, I think you'll agree that it was worth the
>install :)

Thanx to Dr Vague,    who paged me on ICQ,   and very patiently held my
hand through this complex procedure,     because I un-knowingly used the
Ports collection,    he saved the day.     Here is what transpired...

Bear in mind,   I'm running FreeBSD,  a fresh install...   did the "Ports"
install,   but for those that stumbled down the same path I took,    here is
ALSO what you have to do.

-----------

Notes in Installing and Setting up PostGreSQL.

1.  Do the "ports" installation.   It should then create a directory
    /usr/local/pgsql

2.  It already created the "pgsql" user,   but it created the user with
    no "shell" command,    so we have to edit the /etc/passwd file so
    this line looks like this.    First,   go into "root" before editing
    it.

3.  Edit the entry to look like this:

    pgsql:*:89:89::0:0:PostgreSQL Daemon:/usr/local/pgsql:/bin/sh

    NOTE:  The stupid installer fucked up and set the account so
    there is no login.

    Use:    "vipw" to edit the password file.

4.  From "root"  type in:   su -l pgsql  - this logs you into the
    "pgsql" account,   from which all other actions can take place.

5.  Type:   pg_ctl -w start - This starts the postmaster Daemon.
    this runs a script that starts the postmaster.

6.  If,  for some problem,  the machine goes down "dirty" or something
    failed,    after restarting again.

    there is a file in /tmp called .s.PGSQL-5432 or something similar...
    you have to remove that file before the postmaster can be restarted
    again.

7.  psql template1 - should now start up PostGreSQL,  using this as a
    default database.

Thanx a lot everyone....   I'll stay in here a few days to catch any other
"gotchas" that might be posted.

John